Wednesday, August 26, 2026

The Porcupine Quill and the Dog I Could Not Ignore

 The Porcupine Quill and the Dog I Could Not Ignore



By John Aguiar

Verem, Bardez, Goa.


It was an ordinary evening on October 26, 2020 when I stepped out for my walk at Verem, Bardez. Little did I know that the walk would turn into an unforgettable experience involving a distressed stray dog and a porcupine quill.

As I walked along, I noticed a stray dog in obvious distress. A long porcupine quill had pierced through its jaw. The poor animal was frightened and was keeping away from people. I later learnt that animal lovers in the area had already been trying to rescue it.

Rakhi Puri, who regularly feeds the stray dogs in the area, had noticed the animal's condition. The quill was causing considerable suffering. Whenever the dog tried to eat, the protruding end of the quill would touch the ground and push the quill even deeper into the other side of its jaw.

Rakhi and her assistants had made arrangements to rescue the dog. They placed a trap cage with food inside and even created a trail of canned meat to lure it into the cage. But the frightened dog remained cautious and refused to come close.

When I saw the dog during my evening walk, I felt that I had to try. I approached it slowly and began calling out to it gently. Instead of trying to chase or catch it, I simply tried to gain its confidence.

After some coaxing, the dog gradually dropped its defensive guard and allowed me to come closer. I began stroking it with one hand. With the other hand, I carefully reached towards the quill.

I knew that one wrong movement could frighten the animal or cause it more pain. Still, I decided to take the chance. Slowly and cautiously, I grasped the quill and pulled it out.

The moment it came free, I felt an enormous sense of relief. The dog, which had been living with that painful obstruction, was finally free from the quill.

What stayed with me was not just the rescue itself, but the trust the animal placed in me at that moment. A frightened stray, which had been avoiding everyone, had allowed me to come close enough to help.

That evening reminded me that compassion does not always require great resources or elaborate arrangements. Sometimes, it simply requires us to stop, observe someone's suffering and make an effort to help.

The dog could not tell me what it was going through. But its eyes said enough. And I am glad that, on that particular evening, I was there to listen.

No comments: