FROM THE FIELDS OF SODIEM TO THE FRONTLINES: AN INTERVIEW WITH LT COL CLIFF D'SOUZA, SM
By John Aguiar
The Goan spirit is often associated with Susegad-a relaxed, contented approach to life. But for Lt Col Cliff D'Souza, SM, that calm is exactly what makes a soldier formidable under pressure. A son of Sodiem, Siolim, and a decorated officer of the Indian Army. Lt Col D'Souza's journey from an IT engineer to a Sena Medal recipient is a testament to grit, faith, and the power of a dream.
We contacted him to discuss his journey, his gallantry awards, and his message to the youth of Goa.
THE ROOTS OF A WARRIOR.
Q1 Tell us about your early years in Goa. How did your upbringing shape the officer you are today?
Ans. Lt Col Cliff D'Souza: I grew up in Sodiem, Siolim, am the son of Jose Clement D'Souza and Celeste Maria Fernandes. Like many families in Goa, my parents instilled in me the values of simplicity, humility, and hard work. My sister, Cheryl, has been my rock since childhood. Those pillars of strength-honesty and faith-have sustained me through every challenge. I studied at Holy Cross High School, Siolim, and St. Xavier's Mapusa, before graduating in IT Engineering from SRIEIT, Shiroda in 2010.
Q2 What drew an IT engineer toward the olive green uniform?
Ans. Lt Col Cliff D'Souza: I was always fascinated by military technology, the weapons, the equipment and the sheer precision of it. I wanted to work with the best tech in the world and nothing beats the military in that regard. The turning point was when an Indian Army team visited my college for a presentation. That "spark" became a fire, and I knew I had to join.
THE TRANSITION: FROM 'SUSEGAD' TO OTA CHENNAI.
Q3 You joined the Officers Training Academy (OTA) in 2010. How was the culture shock?
Ans. Lt Col Cliff D'Souza: (Laughs) It was massive! moving from a "Susegad" lifestyle to the gruelling routine of OTA Chennai required a complete mental shift. I had to put in double the effort to keep up. But my mother always taught me to give my best and trust God in adversity. I didn't just survive the training, I excelled in it. I was commissioned on 17 September 2011.
CS Scanned with CamScanner
Would you like me to extract specific details from this text, such as a summary of his educational background or key career milestones?
04. Your career has taken you from the deserts to the mountains. What have been some of your most defining roles?
Ans. Lt Col Cliff D'Souza: I've served in deserts, high-altitude areas and counter-terrorism zones. I've been an Instructor at the MARATHA LIGHT INFANTRY Regimental Centre, where I helped mould young recruits into soldiers. I've served with the Rashtriya Rifles in J&K and held a Grade 1 Staff posting at the Army Headquarters in New Delhi. Currently, I am serving on a United Nation Peacekeeping Mission in South Sudan.
VALOUR UNDER FIRE: THE AWARDS
Q5. You are a recipient of the Sena Medal (Gallantry) and multiple commendations. Could you walk us through the actions behind these honors?
Ans. Lt Col Cliff D'Souza: Each award represents a team effort-
5.1. Commendation (2017). At Sela Pass, Arunachal Pradesh, my team and I rescued 26 civilians, including children, who were trapped overnight in a life-threatening blizzard.
5.2. GOC-in-C Northern Command Commendation. While operating in the Kishtwar region of J&K, I led an operation that successfully busted a terrorist hideout and led to the apprehension of a terrorist.
5.3. Sena Medal (Gallantry). This was a major joint operation with the J&K Police. After dismantling a large network of Over Ground Workers (OGWs), we tracked down and neutralized two dreaded terrorists responsible for the killing of the SOG personnel.
PERSONAL REFLECTIONS AND THE GOAN IDENTITY
Q6. You recently started a new chapter in your personal life. How do you balance the intensity of the Army with family?
Ans. Lt Col Cliff D'Souza: As they say, God's timing is perfect. On May 25, 2025, I was bound in holy matrimony to my soulmate, Thania Martina Fernandes. The Army life is adventurous and challenging, but having that support system makes you stronger.
Q7. What is your message to the young men and women of Goa who might be considering the Armed Forces?
Ans. Lt Col Cliff D'Souza: To the Goan youth, I say this: The Indian Army is not just a profession; it is a way of life. It teaches you discipline, devotion, and a deep love for the motherland. Don't view our "Susegad" nature as a weakness. In the Army, staying calm and composed in the face of danger is a superpower. That is what our lifestyle teaches us to be unfazed by the storm.
The Army will take care of your growth, your education, and your family. Step forward, serve the nation, and carry the Goan spirit to the borders. Viva Goa,
Jai Hind!

No comments:
Post a Comment