Tuesday, August 4, 2026

A Legacy of Respect: The Freedom to Follow One's Faith

 A Legacy of Respect: The Freedom to Follow One's Faith








By John Aguiar 

My life has taught me that love is never measured by changing someone's religion, but by respecting their faith, beliefs, and traditions. This is the greatest lesson I inherited from my father, and it is a legacy that I have proudly carried forward.


I was born to a Christian father, Diogo Aguiar, and a Hindu mother from the respected G.S.B. Rau Valaulikar family of Sanguem. My maternal grandmother belonged to the Bhobe family of Tarikade, Mapusa. After marriage, my father never insisted that my mother change her religion. Instead, he stood by her with love and dignity, allowing her to continue worshipping according to her Hindu faith. She remained devoted to her traditions, festivals, and family customs, and our home became a place where mutual respect prevailed over religious differences.


Watching my parents live in harmony despite following different faiths shaped my outlook on life. They taught me that true religion is compassion, understanding, and freedom of conscience. Their marriage was built not on conversion, but on acceptance.


When I married Savita, a Hindu, I made a conscious decision to continue this beautiful family tradition. I never expected or desired that she should change her religion. She continues to practise her Hindu faith with complete freedom and dignity. Our children, Navdeep and Anjali, have also remained Hindus, following the faith in which they were brought up. Today, my daughter-in-law is also Hindu, and our family continues to cherish and celebrate Hindu traditions together.


Since 2015, our home has welcomed Lord Ganesha every year during Ganesh Chaturthi. We celebrate the festival with devotion and joy. We also observe Haldi-Kumkum, Tulsi Vivah, and many other Hindu rituals and festivals. These are not merely ceremonies; they are moments that bring our family together in prayer, gratitude, and love.


As a Christian, my own faith remains strong, and I have never felt that respecting another religion weakens my own beliefs. On the contrary, it has enriched my understanding of humanity. I believe that God is honoured not when we compel others to follow our path, but when we uphold their freedom to walk theirs.


In today's world, where differences are often highlighted, I hope my family's journey sends a simple yet meaningful message: love is strongest when it gives freedom, and faith is most beautiful when it is chosen, not imposed.

The greatest inheritance my father gave me was not wealth or property. He gave me the priceless value of respecting another person's faith. I have tried to pass that same legacy to the next generation. It is my prayer that this tradition of love, acceptance, and religious freedom continues in our family for generations to come, reminding us that unity is not created by sameness but by mutual respect.

No comments: