A Puja I Could Perform, and One I Could Not
By John Aguiar
Some memories fade with time. Others remain with us, becoming even more vivid as the years pass. Some bring a smile to our faces, while others leave behind a small, lingering ache. One such memory from my years in government service is connected with the Shree Satyanarayan Mahapuja.
At that time, I was serving as an officer in the Department of Information and Publicity, and my family and I were staying in the Government Colony at Patto.
Every year, the residents of the colony would organise the Shree Satyanarayan Mahapuja with great enthusiasm. What I remember most about those occasions was not merely the religious ceremony, but the spirit of togetherness among the residents. People belonging to different backgrounds lived together, and there was a wonderful sense of openness, mutual respect and camaraderie.
One year, my wife asked me, “Can we perform the puja this year?”
I was happy with the idea and decided to participate in the lottery through which the opportunity to perform the puja was given to one of the residents.
Fortunately, my name was drawn.
I was genuinely delighted.
Shri Sagar Javdekar and several other residents extended their support and cooperation. What impressed me most was the open-minded attitude of the residents. There was no unnecessary questioning of anyone's faith or background. What mattered was participation, goodwill and the happiness of the community.
That year, we performed the Shree Satyanarayan Mahapuja with great enthusiasm and happiness.
For me, it was much more than a religious ceremony. It was an experience of community living—a reminder that people with different backgrounds can come together, participate in each other's traditions and celebrate with mutual respect.
There is, however, another side to this memory.
Similar pujas were also organised in my office, the Department of Information and Publicity. On one such occasion, a lottery was conducted and, once again, my name was picked.
Naturally, I was happy.
I thought I would have the opportunity to perform the puja in my own office, just as I had done in the Government Colony.
But this time, things were different.
There were voices raised against my performing the Shree Satyanarayan Puja. Consequently, despite my name having been selected in the lottery, I was not fortunate enough to perform the puja at my workplace.
At that time, I did not make a major issue of it. As a government servant, I had always believed that one must learn to accept different opinions and situations with maturity. Life and service require us to move on.
But today, when I look back, I still feel a small pinch of sadness.
It was not simply about performing a puja.
It was about acceptance, equality and respect for another person's faith and sentiments.
What makes the memory more poignant is the contrast. In the Government Colony at Patto, I experienced an atmosphere of openness and acceptance. Residents came together happily and allowed one another the space to observe and celebrate their traditions.
In my own office, however, the same opportunity did not materialise.
I have never believed that one's faith should be imposed upon another. Every individual has the right to follow his or her beliefs. At the same time, I believe that respecting another person's faith and sentiments is an equally important part of living in a plural and democratic society.
Looking back today, I remember the Patto puja with happiness and gratitude. It taught me something valuable about coexistence.
And the puja that I could not perform in my office?
That memory remains in a small corner of my heart—not as anger, not as a complaint, but simply as a quiet regret.
Perhaps some opportunities come our way only once. Perhaps some moments cannot be recreated.
But that one experience has stayed with me because it raises a larger question:
Have we truly learnt to respect one another's faith, traditions and sentiments, even when they are different from our own?
Years have passed. People have changed, circumstances have changed, and society has moved forward.
Yet the memory remains.
And whenever I think of it, I am reminded of a simple truth:
Our faiths may be different, our traditions may be different and our ways of worship may be different—but respect for one another and the spirit of humanity should always remain common ground.
— John Aguiar

No comments:
Post a Comment