Tuesday, August 4, 2026

My Craze for the Class A Ceremonial Tunic

 My Craze for the Class A Ceremonial Tunic





John Aguiar


The Class A ceremonial dress tunic has always held a special place in my heart. Ever since I joined the Home Guards and Civil Defence, I dreamt of the day I would proudly wear this distinguished uniform on a memorable occasion.


That dream came true when my name was announced for the President's Home Guards and Civil Defence Medal for Meritorious Services on 25 January 2012. My joy knew no bounds. A few months later, I received an official communication informing me that the medal would be presented on Independence Day, 15 August 2012.


I was determined that such a proud moment deserved the finest ceremonial attire. At that time, I was serving as the Public Relations Officer (PRO) in the Goa Police Department. One of the police constables working with me knew a renowned tailor in Belgaum who specialized in stitching ceremonial police uniforms. Together, we travelled to Belgaum. The tailor's shop was like a treasure house of police uniforms and accessories.


After selecting the fabric and getting my measurements taken, we returned to Goa, while my colleague stayed back and brought the completed uniform the very next day. I can still remember the excitement of seeing my brand-new Class A ceremonial dress tunic for the first time. Along with it Inpurchased new peaked cap and a new cross belt. I had already purchased a ceremonial sword from Belgaum in 2010, so my ceremonial dress was complete.


The proud moment finally arrived when the medal was presented to me by the then Chief Minister of Goa, late Shri Manohar Parrikar  , on Independence Day at Old Secretariat in Panjim.. It was one l of the most memorable moments of my life.


Thereafter, I had several opportunities to wear my Class A ceremonial dress uniform during commendation parades and other official functions. Every time I wore that tunic, it reminded me that a uniform is not merely a piece of clothing—it represents honour, discipline, dedication, and years of selfless service to the nation.


Even today, that  Class A ceremonial dress tunic remains one of my most treasured possessions.

No comments: