Konkani poet, writer, media person and lyricist

My photo
John Aguiar ( BA,BJ,MJ. ) is a Konkani poet, writer, media person and lyricist His song Viva Carnival, composed and sung by Mukesh Ghatwal was chosen as the Goa carnival theme song in 2012. . Aguiar wrote a bhakti geet on Lord Ganesha also composed and sung by Mukesh Ghatwal, a first of its kind in Konkani .Thereafter wrote several songs. Four books of Konkani poems ,one each English and romi konkani essays. Nominated for the best lyrics award at Mangalore, bagged KBM’s Literary Award in the year 2017. Gulab Writer of the Year Award ,The Navhind Times Ex-NCC Achiever Award. He bagged Goa CM’s Medal in Home Guards Presidents Medal for Meritorious , Presidents Medal for Distinguished Services DGCD Commendation 2013 and DDGNCC Commendation. Professionally, he was an officer with the Government of Goa's Department of Information and Publicity. Aguiar has been a journalist since his college days, associated with newspapers such as Herald, West Coast Times, Goencho Avaz, Rashtramat, Navhind Times, Gomantak and others.

Sunday, July 11, 2021

MY STINT IN THE NCC




By John Aguiar

I had a very good stint in the National Cadet Corps (NCC) in college. The NCC is an organisation that trains the youth to face challenging situatios and instills the  sense of discipline and responsibility.

Every Sunday we used to have our weekly parades. I loved to be in the NCC uniform, and perhaps  to be seen in one. Sunday was a good day for me, for it gave occasion to proudly flaunt my uniforn as  I travelled by bus from Ponda to Chowgule college in Margao.

For New cadets, though it must have been a different story. I remember most would shiver at the thundering word of command of the parade leader. The same had happened to me when I first joined the NCC. Slowly, we got accustomed to the new environment and then, we began to actually enjoy it. Because rightly, the NCC provides a whole amout of activities no other youth organisation in India can match.

I learnt to assume leadership right from the starting point of Lance Nk. Then I worked my way up to Corporal, Sergeant and Senior Under Officer.

I remember vividly a blood donation camp organised by the NCC infantry wing of the college. The team from Goa Medical College blood bank had arrived. My Coy Commander Capt. J.S. Budkuley had motivated me. In turn, I had to motivate others in donating blood. Though my Under Officer was one Mr Bhat at that time, I was enthrusted the overall responsibility. There was a very good response not only from the NCC cadets but from other students as well.

A  cadet from Infantry wing was the first one to donate blood. He was cheerful and happy. While the needle was pricked, he looked at the other side all the time. Later he insisted that he should be shown the bottle of blood which he has donated (Those days itcwas bottle). As the bottle was being shown to him, he fainted and collapsed. While the volunteers rused with soda and coffee for him, someone from the crowd suggested that the same blood should be put back  to him. Other cadets in the que to donate panicked. Many backed out. We had a hard time convincing them and reversing the tide.

As part of our NCC activities, I led two cycle expeditions, one from Goa to Pune and back while other from Goa to Mantralaya (Karnataka) and back.. While on out tour to Mantralaya, we undertook halt at the Hongund Police station. That evening we went around to get a feel of the place.  Later we visited a dhaba and ordered for mutton. After eating, we realised something fishy in it and demanded to know from the counter what it was. The person at counter said "Bade" ka suggesting that it was fresh beef which was served to us. My collegues started putting fingers in their mouth to vomit it out. Though I am christian by birth, I too stay away from Pork and beef.

Returning to our accomdation at the Police station after that horrible experience, I suggested to my mates that we should drink the feni that we were carrying with us. The idea was accepted, immediately and unanimously. The feni cleansed the system.

NCC activities include playing volleyball. I once had accompanied my college volleyball team to the group headquarters Belgaum. As the match began, the refree whistled and as the scorer said, "luve all" over the mike. A voice from the spectator stands loudly added, "But marry one".

At the weekly parades every Sunday morning, As the Company Senior Under Officer I used to take cadets for jogging warm-up upto Gogol old college and back..

One such Sunday, we were jogging with our old time ankle shoes that came fitted with horseshoes. The cadets  jogging in such shoes made it sound like horses galloping. On the road, a little ahead of us, was a farmer possibly taking his buffaoes out to graze. We overtook the herd and continued jogging.

But soon,to our horror, discovered that the buffaloes too had begun jogging behind us. We quickly realised that they were actually chasing us. I was initially happy that the buffaloes had taken a lesson from us to remain fit and fine. But before I could plum what was happening behind, my cadets had fallen out of line and begun running helter shelter. Some jumped into the roadside nullah, some climbed atop adjoining compound walls, yet others even clambered up trees.

The biggest funks of the lot not only climbed  on the top of roadside compound walls but, perhaps still feeling not safe enough from the pursing buffaloes on rampage jumped inside the compounds.

For some who did that, it turned out to be the proverbial jumping from frying pan into the fire.. they were attacked by .dogs loose in the compound. By the time I could gather the entire group of cadets into ranks and file again, decided to turn back to the college parade ground, not jogging, Given the mood, but plain marching.

It was the first and the only Sunday parade in my NCC life that ended before completing less than half the way of the preliminary warm up. ( The Navhind Times, January 19, 2002 )


Courtesy: Book titled "Offside" authored by John Aguiar

Published by:: Goa 1556

Ilustrations: Rohit Chari






No comments: